Thursday, September 10, 2009

No Mortgage No Rent

I fucked up.

I fucked up real bad.

Just out of school, I chose the path of greed: I accepted the job that would allow me to move out of my mother's house instead of the job that I liked. And now I'm paying for it in stomachaches, stress, grey hairs, and boredom.

I hate my job and I want to quit. Desperately.

The way I see it, I have 2 options:
Option 1: Get rich. (Yeah, right.)
Option 2: Wean off the paycheck.

I choose to wean off the paycheck.

To my surprise, there is a ton of reading material out there on how to do exactly that. Basically, I need to reduce my need for money so that instead of having a lot of money, I have just enough to cover what I need.....so I need to reduce my need.

I talked it over with my husband. My husband usually just humors me because he knows that most of the time all he has to do is wait it out and my latest obsession will fade before I complete it, and this time is no different. He agreed that if I can get us to a place where we have no mortgage and no rent, then he will agree to me setting us up to live on as little as possible. Here is our list of requirements:
1. No mortgage
2. No rent
3. Internet access
4. Electricity
5. At least 3 rooms (and a bathroom)
6. Running water

The Plan:

1. First thing's first: that condo in Brooklyn that's like a ball & chain around my neck. Selling it is definitely part of the plan, but selling it now is not. Selling it now is like buying high & selling low, so we're going to have to hang onto it for a few years. I need it to be self sufficient with a large cushion so that I can pay the mortgage for a full year even if there are no tenants in it (just in case). Then sell it after this recession is over.

2. Pay off the car completely. Even if this obsession does last long enough to get us to no mortgage no rent, my husband doesn't want to stop working, so we'll either need to keep the car, or I'll have to figure something else out (horse & buggy? bikes? hehe).

3. Save up enough to buy a piece of land outright. In cash. And figure out how to get 3 rooms (plus a bathroom) onto it. Oh. And learn how to farm since that's how we'll be getting our food.

Now I just need to figure out how to accomplish this. Wish me luck. Ideas are welcome.

4 comments:

  1. Chickens. You'll need chickens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do u plan on becoming vegitarians? I hope so. I don't see you going hunting for bambi for meat. At least the Chickens you can sell the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking beef cows too. But I just can't see my way toward raising pigs for slaughter...for some reason that just feels a bit too far :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickens does sound good, I agree...my inlaws in the UK have them, and they get lots of eggs *AND* some of the best compost you could imagine for their garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete